• ZoomLib user's guide 5 2
Currently:  

Author Topic: ZoomLib user's guide  (Read 18807 times)

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ZoomLib user's guide
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Here's a brief tour.  Most of the basic functions are fairly obvious, but there's a bit more that might not be.

UPDATES 30 April 2016:  Edited for v1.0.1, now available for both Windows and Mac.  Changes in v1.0.1:
  • You can now load online patches from similar pedals:
    - G3 and G3X patches are compatible
    - G1on, G1Xon, B1on and B1Xon patches are compatible.  (Effects which are not available on a particular pedal are shown as "Missing" if specified in a patchfile.)
  • Some patch file boards have been combined to group patches of compatible pedals.
  • You can now shift multiple patches at a time to a different position in the patch list area. 
  • Various minor corrections to messages, missing folder icon file, etc etc etc
  • If you use the original v1.0.0 ZoomLib with some pedals, an error will be raised when uploading.  Please use the new version.

If you don't have a copy of ZoomLib yet, go to the Downloads section.  (Still Windows only as at 16 April 2016 - MacOS will follow.)[EDIT: MacOs version now available]

Please note:
  • ZoomLib reads patch information from your pedal at startup.  Any changes made to the pedal after that are not detected automatically - you will need to reload patch information by by clicking the device name button.
  • If ZoomLib has problems detecting your pedal, try disconnecting and reconnecting the pedal.  If problems persist, shut down and restart the program.
  • Zoom pedals (or maybe it's Windows?) don't cope with computer hibernation or sleep.   After waking up, you'll probably need to disconnect and reconnect the pedal.  ZoomLib might stop responding and then must be restarted.  We recommend closing ZoomLib before putting your computer to sleep.
  • ZoomLib needs exclusive access to your pedal.  Any other program such as Edit and Share or another instance of ZoomLib will prevent access.  Only one Zoom pedal can be plugged in at a time.

ZoomLib displays three viewports: from left to right, these are:
  • an online patch browser, which allows drag and drop patch load upload/download from the zoompatches.com forum. Clicking on any links from other web domains will open that link in your preferred web browser.
  • a patch list, which lists the pedal's patches. The pedal's current patch is shown in bold. Double click on another patch to change the pedal's current patch
  • a patchfile list, which lists the saved patches on your computer.  Directories are highlighted in bold.

To backup your pedal: click the Full Backup button. This uses a default filename made from the current date and time – this name can be changed before saving in the popup dialog.

To restore a backup, click Full Restore, then choose the desired backup file.  Either double click the file name, or click on the name then on Open in the popup dialog.

To save a patch locally: click and drag the patch name from the patch list into the patchfile area.  Drop the patch onto the desired directory (or any of the filenames under that directory.)
To save multiple patches:  select using the usual methods (Ctrl or Shft + left mouse button, or Ctrl-A to select all) before dragging.
Patchfile names are built from the patch number and the patch name.  The patch number will be the default position for reloading the patch.  (Note though that the default position is not changed by changing the patchfile name.  This information is encoded in the file contents.)

To load a patch from local storage, either:
  • drag and drop the patch file name onto the desired patch position, or
  • double click the patch file name to load to its default position, as indicated by the name. (Again, note that the default position is not changed by changing the patchfile name.  This information is encoded in the file contents.)
To load multiple patches: select using the usual methods (Ctrl or Shft + left mouse button, or Ctrl-A to select all)  before dragging.  Note that this will load selected files into their default positions regardless of which patch position is dropped onto.

To rearrange patches, click and drag a patch to drop it on the desired position.  Using the left mouse button will shift all intermediate patches to make room at the target.  Using the right mouse button will swap the source and target patches, leaving intermediate patches in their original positions.
ZoomLib v1.0.0 allows only a single patch to be moved at a time. 
ZoomLib v1.0.1 allows multiple patches to be moved:  select multiple patches using the usual methods (eg Shft + left mouse button) and drag to the desired position.  Note that selected patches will be dropped into contiguous positions, even if there are gaps in the selection.  (For example, if patches 03, 07, 08 and 22 are selected and the selection dropped at position 12, the selected patches will be moved to positions 12, 13, 14 and 15.  All other patches will be shifted accordingly.

To create a new directory, right click on the parent directory to show a menu.
To delete a patchfile (or empty directory), right click on the filename (directory name) to show a menu.
Other file and directory operations can be carried out using your preferred file system browser.

To download a patch, navigate to the appropriate forum board for your pedal.  The first post of each topic in the forum patch file boards contains a link.  Click and drag that link to the desired position in the patch list and drop it there.
Double clicking the link will download the patch to the current patch position (indicated in bold.)
You do not need to be logged in or registered to download patches.
(If you are registered and logged in, you can submit a rating for patches.  Please do!)

ZoomLib v1.0.1 can load compatible patches from other pedals from this online forum:
- G3 and G3X patches can be loaded to either of those pedals
- G1on, G1Xon, B1on and B1Xon patches can be loaded to any of those pedals.  (Note though that some effects might be shown as "Missing" on your pedal, and that effect will be bypassed.)

To upload a patch, click on a patch and drag it into the browser.  It can be dropped anywhere in the browser.  ZoomLib will prepare a new topic containing the patch link and place it in the correct board.  (You do not have to navigate to the correct board first.)   
Please add a description of the patch before posting.  You cannot upload soundclips etc but feel free to add links to youtube, soundcloud etc.
You must be registered and logged in to upload a patch.
You can upload only one patch at a time.
You can upload only patches, not patchfiles.  (This is one of the measures in the program to prevent pedal hacking.(!))
If you upload a patch for testing, please delete it when done.  You have 30 minutes from the time of posting to do this.
The only way to start a new topic in the patch file boards is as described here.  You can then reply to that topic to comment on a patch, add links etc.  (It's probably not too difficult to figure a workaround for this restriction, but please don't.  The idea is to have a consistent interface – one topic per patch, one patch per topic – for simplicity and to allow patch ratings.)

Click on “About ZoomLib” to read a bit more about ZoomLib.  There, you also are able to donate to help support the software.  (Clicking one of the donate buttons should bring up a page in your preferred browser.  You can change the donation amount in that page.)  This uses the new paypal.me facility, which it seems is not available everywhere yet.  If that's the case for you and you wish to donate, you can send to my paypal account: drdashdot@gmail.com

We hope you enjoy the program and you find it useful and easy to use.  Feel free to make suggestions here in the General Discussion board of the patch exchange forum. 

(Also, please upload your favourite patch settings!  We've tried to make it very easy to try patches with a double click or drag & drop, but it needs patches to click on!)

Cheers,
Dave (drdashdot)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:56:40 PM by drXum »

postrocker

• View Profile
Re: ZoomLib user's guide
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:19:13 AM »
Can i use this Offline, or need to connect/online to internet ?
Thnks

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »

Offline should work fine for local backup/restore. 

postrocker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:08:50 AM »
for sharing patches ?

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »

Yes, you can copy/store/share the patch files just as you would with any file.  They are found under c:\\ZoomLib (Windows) or ~/ZoomLib (Mac).

jipegonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Hi Dave
thanks you so much for your effort for Zoom community !
Sorry for my english (i'm french)
Unfortunately, impossible for me to use your software (i've tried v1.0.0 and v1.0.1)
there's a windows message when i'm trying to run ZoomLib : "Zoomlib.exe is stop running"
I'm using windows 10 family 64 bits
could you help me ?
By advance thank you for your reply
jp

Pol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Hey!

Nice work truly!

I'm trying to import B1on effects to a B1Xon pedal and the program collapses... Is possible to put created B1on patches to a B1Xon multieffects?? The program is freeze... U.u

Thanks a lot!!

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
Hey!

Nice work truly!

I'm trying to import B1on effects to a B1Xon pedal and the program collapses... Is possible to put created B1on patches to a B1Xon multieffects?? The program is freeze... U.u

Thanks a lot!!

That's possible, but only via this website at present.  You can upload the patch, change pedals and then download.  (and then delete the post if it's not worth keeping there, please.)
I'll make it easier in the next version.

Cheers
Dave

imoyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 02:40:23 AM »
Not able to upload patches - after the message is created (in preview), when I go to post it I always get this:
An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to access this section

Is there any solution or work around?

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
Hi imoyes.  Not sure why that is - I'll look into it later today.  (I did make changes a while ago to deter a new crop of spammers.  Maybe I broke something.)

Which pedal did you have connected?

Cheers
Dave

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »

Ok - fixed now.  There was a configuration problem.  Sorry - please try again!

Olymoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Hello, thank you for thjis program. I'd like to share some patches but Zoomlib is crashing.

My system is Win7 x67 sp1 and this is the windows report about the crash:

problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   ZoomLib.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   00000000
  Fault Module Name:   ssleay32.dll
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   3bcf45b1
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   00020788
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any idea how to fix it please?

I just found out that, if I say to my firewall to block the program or I simply disconnect my internet cable, the program dont crash, but of course I cant exchange patches...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:48:48 AM by Olymoon »

falcon74

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
Does it work on Linux under WINE ? Anyone tried and was successful ?