Author Topic: ZoomLib v1.0.0 for Windows [Superseded]  (Read 8152 times)

drXum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ZoomLib v1.0.0 for Windows [Superseded]
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
ZoomLib v1.0.0 for Windows

http://www.zoompatches.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1  [EDIT:  Link removed. Download not available}

Here it is folks.  A little documentation will follow...

Edit: 27 April 2016:  Superseded.  Please use v1.0.1
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:17:28 AM by Dave (drdashdot) »

Blue Dragon

• View Profile
Re: ZoomLib v1.0.0 for Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
Awesome drXum, and couldn't be timelier for me.  I'll give it a shot tonight and see if I can fake my way through it with my B1ON.

Blue Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
So here's my experience with the program without documentation and just "faking" my way through it.
1. Installation issues.  At first I was worried.  I use Avast as my antivirus and it flagged the download for DRep.  Sounds like a virus, but on reading, it isn't.  It's just saying Avast doesn't have any reputation for the domain it was downloaded from.  Not a surprise there!  So I got around Avast and installed it.  Installation was flawless after that.  I'm running Windows 8.0 (long story) so I was concerned that might be an issue, but it wasn't.

2. Full Backup.  Only made sense to do the full backup first, and the program advises to do so too.  So I did that.  No problem.  Backed up to a file under c:\zoomlib\B1on with a filename 2016-04-12T19.09.36.423000.B1onALL.  I did a couple more backups too, and those get similar filename (with different timestamp of course).  File sizes are very small (15k) so no problem with that.

3. Restore.  Just to be sure, I tried a restore.  Seemed to work fine too.

4. Individual patch backup.  So.  OTHER that backup and restore (which alone makes the program well worth all the $ I DIDN'T pay for it!) what can I do with it?  Well, I did notice one of the patches was in bold.  I thought maybe I could backup just that patch by dragging from the list of patches on the left to the window on the right.  Didn't seem to work at first till I dragged it ontop of the B1on "folder" (doesn't look visually like a folder - but it was in bold so it was worth a shot).  Voila!  Patch copied to a file named A7_SMOOTHOPER.B1on

5. Individual patch restore.  Well, given that, the reverse may copy the patch back.  Let's give THAT a try...  BANG.  Worked just like I thought it should  Copied over the patch number I'd hovered it over.  Ohoh... here's a chance to check full restore.  (To make sure it puts back the patch I'd just overwritten)...  BANG.  Right back like I started.  This is turning into awesomeness at this point.

6. Individual patch move.  So, does THAT work?  Take an existing patch in position A7 for instance and drag it to A9?  Will it swap the two?  Yup!  Sure does!

So, all and all am I happy?  I'm ecstatic! elated! overjoyed!  This is the ONE thing I didn't think I could do with my cheapo B1on!  And now I can!  So take that as either a user-written early document, or as a review, or whatever.  But your program is the missing link for the B1on (and likely the other Zoom B series.  This is all I've got to test it with).

I wonder if Zoom will appreciate this though?  It does remove one major selling point of the B3.  According to Zoom the USB is only for firmware upgrades and power for the B1on.  Now it's for a heck of a lot more!  I owe you big time, and I hope this becomes a Big Thing for Zoom users.  Are you OK with me advertising this site and program out and about on the Internet?  It deserves to be.

Oh, one thing I thought of that MAY be important - I'm not sure how this program will handle old/newer firmware versions.  (Like, will my patch files work on a different firmware?  I would assume NOT since the effects may not exist for an older one etc.)  For that reason it MIGHT be worthwhile to detect the firmware version and maybe put it in the filename, so people downloading a patch for one firmware version will at least recognize it was saved on another.  Just a thought, you guys know more about how this works internally than me!  FWIW my B1on is v1.21 on bootup.  I think that's the latest.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:03:45 PM by Blue Dragon »

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »
Thanks again, Blue Dragon.  I'll add a few comments and extras, pending more docs:

2. Full Backup.  Only made sense to do the full backup first, and the program advises to do so too.  So I did that.  No problem.  Backed up to a file under c:\zoomlib\B1on with a filename 2016-04-12T19.09.36.423000.B1onALL.  I did a couple more backups too, and those get similar filename (with different timestamp of course).  File sizes are very small (15k) so no problem with that.

Well spotted.  The default filename is the current date and time, which seems as good a default as any.  You can change that name to whatever you want.  (The B1onALL extension - or equivalent for other pedals - will be added automatically.)

4. Individual patch backup.  So.  OTHER that backup and restore (which alone makes the program well worth all the $ I DIDN'T pay for it!)

Free - and worth every cent? 
I've had a report of the "donate" buttons not working (in the 'About ZoomLib' popup.)   They should bring up a paypal window in your preferred browser (ie a different window.)  Does this work?  (No need to follow through with a donation - but, if you must...)

what can I do with it?  Well, I did notice one of the patches was in bold.  I thought maybe I could backup just that patch by dragging from the list of patches on the left to the window on the right.  Didn't seem to work at first till I dragged it ontop of the B1on "folder" (doesn't look visually like a folder - but it was in bold so it was worth a shot).  Voila!  Patch copied to a file named A7_SMOOTHOPER.B1on

The bold patch indicates the current pedal setting.  Double click on another to change the patch at the pedal.
The file name indicates the default patch position as well as the name.  As well as dragging the filename to any patch position as you did, you can double click the filename to load it into that default position (A7 in your example.)

6. Individual patch move.  So, does THAT work?  Take an existing patch in position A7 for instance and drag it to A9?  Will it swap the two?  Yup!  Sure does!

If you drag and drop the patch using the left mouse button, intermediate patches are shifted up or down.
Using the right mouse button, the two patches are swapped (and the patches in between stay in place.)

So, all and all am I happy?  I'm ecstatic! elated! overjoyed!  This is the ONE thing I didn't think I could do with my cheapo B1on!  And now I can!  So take that as either a user-written early document, or as a review, or whatever.  But your program is the missing link for the B1on (and likely the other Zoom B series.  This is all I've got to test it with).

I wonder if Zoom will appreciate this though?  It does remove one major selling point of the B3.  According to Zoom the USB is only for firmware upgrades and power for the B1on.  Now it's for a heck of a lot more!  I owe you big time, and I hope this becomes a Big Thing for Zoom users.  Are you OK with me advertising this site and program out and about on the Internet?  It deserves to be.

Glad to hear it. And yes, I can't follow Zoom's thinking either, and yes, please spread the word - the more, the merrier!  (BUT - please wait a day or two for some documentation to show.  There are a few other less obvious things that might be useful.)

Oh, one thing I thought of that MAY be important - I'm not sure how this program will handle old/newer firmware versions.  (Like, will my patch files work on a different firmware?  I would assume NOT since the effects may not exist for an older one etc.)  For that reason it MIGHT be worthwhile to detect the firmware version and maybe put it in the filename, so people downloading a patch for one firmware version will at least recognize it was saved on another.  Just a thought, you guys know more about how this works internally than me!  FWIW my B1on is v1.21 on bootup.  I think that's the latest.

That might be true - can be dealt with if necessary.  I think I'll add firmware files in the downloads section, in case future rollbacks are desired.

Thanks for your input.  You're a gem!

Cheers
Dave

okcrum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 05:31:18 AM »
No problems here, as long as I wait to plug in the Zoom pedal until after starting Zoomlib.

okcrum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 10:48:59 PM »
Just for fun I tried installing under Wine/Linux. No joy on the USB connection, but ZoomLib otherwise seems to come up well enough to post this.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:57:09 PM by okcrum »

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
Just for fun I tried installing under Wine/Linux. No joy on the USB connection, but ZoomLib otherwise seems to come up well enough to post this.

I wondered what might happen with that sort of thing.
For my own fun, I might see how it builds in Linux at some point.  Has to be easier than those others.

okcrum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 04:41:25 AM »
I wondered what might happen with that sort of thing.
For my own fun, I might see how it builds in Linux at some point.  Has to be easier than those others.

I think it might work under VirtualBox, since that has USB support and Wine really doesn't.

khutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:45:07 PM »
Just a quick note to anyone who is trying to download this program and is getting warnings from their virus protection software. My machine (Windows 7/Norton) would not download it at first and flagged it with a WS.Reputation.1 warning. When I looked at the report in detail it was not reporting any actual suspicious code in the program. What it was saying was in effect that very few users have tried this program and so just to be safe we are blocking it. As far as I could tell there is nothing malicious in the code so I manually approved it and installed it. I have seen no issues. From the conversation on Talk Bass I believe the developer is going to contact Norton and perhaps others to see if he can get the program put on the trusted list. But for now that is what is going on. If you get a warning from your virus software it is your choice, of course, as to how to handle the situation and you should do what you feel comfortable with. I am not trying to talk you into anything and I have no relationship with the developer beyond seeing his posts on Talk Bass and being interested in this product.

That said, I have tried the software with a B1on, G1Xon, and an MS60B and it seems to be working. It recognizes the pedals and creates a full backup without reporting any errors. That is as far as I have gone with it so far, now I am off to read the operating manual....

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 04:35:12 AM »
Thanks khutch. 
I've heard back from Symantec very quickly.  They say they've whitelisted the software and from the next definition update, it should raise no alerts.
The Avast reporting form was a bit of a pain and I've not managed to contact them.  I'll look into it further.  From what okcrum has said, it raises a similar "domain reputation" warning.
As several people have confirmed, there is no problem with the software.  Please download and enjoy.
Cheers
Dave

okcrum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:08 PM »
Which Windows versions will run ZoomLib? 64 bit only?

Dave (drdashdot)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:37 PM »

It's 32 bit, so should run on either.  It's built on a machine running Windows 8.1, but I know some are running it on Windows 7. 

I'd be interested in hearing of any difficulties people are having (or successes for that matter.)

okcrum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:47 AM »

It's 32 bit, so should run on either.  It's built on a machine running Windows 8.1, but I know some are running it on Windows 7. 

I'd be interested in hearing of any difficulties people are having (or successes for that matter.)

So far:

under Windows 10 works fine
under Wine/Ubuntu 16.04 missing some browser graphics and USB doesn't work (no Wine support for USB)
under Windows XP Pro/VirtualBox/Ubuntu 16.04 no graphics in browser (except avatar pics and a few buttons) and USB doesn't work - probably because VirtualBox (so it can attach the pedal) is trapping the initial USB handshake ZoomLib looks for when it can see the unit get plugged in

Admittedly, the last two are outlier cases. I'm posting this from XP under Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:17:32 AM by okcrum »

AlinkinaMila

• View Profile
ZoomLib v1 0 0 for Windows Superseded
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »
additionally if You want to make sure vista does not autoreboot due to windows update while youre gigging...
add this to the registry...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdateAU
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers=dword:00000001

Посмотри тут

trevh

• View Profile
Re: ZoomLib v1.0.0 for Windows [Superseded]
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
Hi, will zoomlib work on windows xp? One pane shows the forum site, but the other side is blank, I am guessing there should be some kind of display of the slots to drag patches into? I connected the ms70cdr to the PC with usb but there seems to be a button saying waiting for connection. Also the pedalm isn't showing up on the windows explorer as a device. Any help greatly appreciated.